A Victorian store cupboard could be a dangerous place. Here poisons and foodstuffs were found on the same shelf. In the 20th century a common poison found in many everyday items and food was arsenic. Famously it was used in wallpaper to create vivid arsenic-green colours. People got terribly ill, both physically and mentally, unaware the cause was their wallpaper. The arsenic pigment used for wallpaper was also used in the production of other goods, such as paints, shoes, canvasses, wood, books, fabric and toys. It was even used in baby powder. During the 1870s Violet Powder killed at least 13 children due to its high levels of arsenic. Another ingredient that threatened people’s health on a daily basis was Plaster of Paris, made from powdered gypsum. Bakers added this powder to bread to make it heavier and whiter. It was potentially fatal to children. Chemicals bought from the chemists were not always clearly marked and so people could easily mistake poison for a cooking ingredient. One such poison is carbolic acid, used in cleaning products. There are many historical cases in which it was mistaken for soda or baking powder. In 1902 the Pharmacy Act made it illegal to have dangerous chemicals in normal bottles.