Sir Robert Sheffield employed the architect Robert Smirke to design the Stable Block. It was built between 1818 and 1820. The single storey stables were built in the Classical Revival style with seven bays, brass and timber stalls, and tack room fittings. In 1830, Smirke began work on the Regency Hall. The similarities in style between the Hall and the Stables, shows the great importance of the Estate’s horses.
The Stable Yard was at the heart of Normanby Park. It was a hive of activity and used as a meeting point for shooting parties. By the 1920s, only the west range was in use as a stable. With the introduction of motor cars early in the 1900s, the carriage house on the north side of the courtyard was adapted to house up to six motor vehicles.
In 1963 Scunthorpe Borough Council, now North Lincolnshire Council, leased Normanby Hall Country Park from the Sheffield Family. This Stable Block and the Stableyard were used up until very recently by a local horse-riding school. The Normanby Park riding school and the horses moved to Bagmoor Farm on Bagmoor Lane, Normanby in 2008.
To the sides and above the Coach House are two flats. These are currently used as storage. But up until a few years ago these were used as accommodation for Park staff.
Next week: Researching the objects